Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Concept, concept, concept

Conception is a fundamentally crucial aspect of musical composition. Good ideas are the fundamental components of sound music. 

When good ideas seize serendipitous moments, I think truly amazing things can happen. In the process of creating "2,000,001: A Space Opera" for Music & Language class with Nora Beck, I received a humorous email from my librettist (the dude who writes the lyrics). 



I thought it was funny. The text is below.
 Hey, what is up homies? I hope you gangsters are staying out of trouble tonight, but still keeping it real. I am trying to hook it up sick with the librettos and shit and I somehow, someway can't remember all of the characters. I know that ethan is mr roboto, emma is chuck(the bad boyfriend), jackie is ms humana, but the last mofo I cant remember. If one of you could help a brotha out big ups to yourself and let me know by tonight so i can wrap this mutha up and youse wise guys can kill the music. Mad respect playas. Peace.

P.S. This isn't how I normally write emails, but I'm trying to get the creative juices flowing like steroids in the MLB.
P.P.S. Also attached is the first love scene libretto and beginning of the party scene, let me know if I need to make any changes.


So, I was reading this email aloud to my roommate, who thought it would be funnier if a computer read it. It was. Why not have some relaxing jazz in the background too? And how about some relaxing, nature noises--say, the sweet songs of the common loon?


What I present to you now is art. I particularly like the way the computer reads the text. Check out how it says "Peace," "MLB," and "changes." Classic stuff. 


Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment