Monday, November 29, 2010

The Casual Musician

A casual dude
I think that playing music is for everybody. It is something that (and don't berate me for absolutist statements; you know what I'm trying to say) is always good.


Music is both highly rewarding and interactive, and in this way is much more like a sport than an art like drawing. Now, don't get me wrong; drawing is very interactive. When you make a drawing, you're using technical expertise and creative mojo to create a finished work, just like in music. But, because music is performed, it is much more mentally athletic than drawing (usually, I mean). 


And it involves practical discipline, which I think is very good for people. It does not demand the overbearing, rigidity of martial arts or military service, but instead requires the subtle poise and artifice of a craftsman.


Most people I know have played music, usually when they were younger, for some extended period in their lives. I think that, and, of course, this is only if it appeals to them, everyone should foster their musicality.


And, it's fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment