Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Music for my Funeral

1. Igor Stravinsky's Firebird Suite (1910)
I love this piece of music. I think it is quite fitting, too, with its imagery of death and rebirth and new life after destruction. I'd very much like to see the accompanying ballet.


2. John Coltrane, "Naima" (1959)
It's kind of odd, I guess, to put this piece in the lineup, given that it was written by Coltrane for his wife, and is much more of a love song than a somber death march. I really like it though, it is immeasurably pretty.


3. The Grateful Dead, "Stella Blue" (1972)
This song is beautiful, in lyric, melody, and harmony, and speaks to me about the impermanence of life and the permanence of beauty--"In the end there's just a song."


4. Ludwig van Beethoven, Piano Sonata No. 30 in E Major, Op. 109 Ludwig van Beethoven, String Quartet, Op. 132, 3rd Movement
These are two of my favorite pieces of all time. The piano sonata (particularly the first movement) is uplifting and enlightening, while the string quartet is somber and serious.


5. The Grateful Dead, "Uncle John's Band" (1969)
 This song speaks to the peace and kindness of the human character, and I feel it is perfect to end the set of music for my funeral. In the end, we are each just looking for a little happiness in this life. "Woah-oh what I want to know, is are you kind."

No comments:

Post a Comment